If you are a proud cat owner, you will need no reminder of how difficult it is to keep your furry friend’s coat in perfect condition. The chore of feline upkeep is incredibly familiar to long-hair cat owners. To keep a cat’s fur looking healthy, you will usually need to groom them once or twice a week. The problem is, no matter how much and how often you care for your cat’s hair, it can still end up a tangled mess.
To avoid this hairy disaster, you can take your cat to a groomer. However, a weekly bill from a professional groomer can quickly add up. Additionally, most cats simply hate traveling or going to the groomer. If this sounds like your situation, your best bet is to look into investing in a decent pair of cat clippers to keep your pet happy and tangle-free.
- How to Choose an Electric Cat Shaver
- Which Shaver Is the Best Option for My Cat?
- Top 8 Best Electric Shavers for Cats 2023
- 1. Best Overall Shaver: Wahl Professional Animal Bravura Pet Clipper
- 2. Best Budget Shaver: oneisall Pet Clipper Kit
- 3. Best Corded Shaver: Andis ProClip 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper
- 4. Best Clipper for Nervous Cats: Wahl Clipper Pet-Pro Dog Grooming Kit
- 5. Best Premium Shaver: Wahl Professional Animal KM10 Corded Clipper Kit
- 6. Best Complete Kit: Wahl Home Pet Pro-Series Clipper Kit
- 7. Best Cordless Shaver: Wahl Professional Animal Arco Cordless Clipper
- 8. Best Shaver for Long Hair: Oster A5 Turbo 2-Speed Professional Clipper
- Guide to Buying the Best Cat Shaver
- Finding the Best Clippers Shows Love for Your Cat
How to Choose an Electric Cat Shaver
Here is a quick look at a few of the most commonly seen product categories of cat shavers and clippers to satisfy your curiosity.
Corded shavers are the most traditional design, and they offer outstanding performance due to their consistent power. However, they do require users to plug them into the wall outlet in order to operate. This can be less convenient for some cat owners as the cord might get tangled or even spook your cat when moving around.
Cordless shavers are the modern take on the cat clipper. They come with either a permanent or a removable rechargeable battery pack. These shavers are very convenient due to their ease of movement but are often less powerful than the corded versions. Additionally, like many rechargeable devices, they begin to lose their power capacity over time. To get the most out of your rechargeable shaver, you will need to keep it consistently charged.
Brushless Motor Shavers
The brushless variety of small motors is more power-efficient than the “brushed” DC motors. Cat shavers that feature a brushless motor are typically more powerful than the brushed type.
Kits vs. Single Tool
Some of the features of the shavers featured on this list come with an included kit that can feature items such as combs, scissors, trimming guide combs, or brushes. Other products are the single tool shavers without the extra included products. If you buy the cat shaver without the accessories, you will need to purchase them separately if you want to use them.
Which Shaver Is the Best Option for My Cat?
When searching for the best possible cat shaver, you should note that the quality from one product to another can vary greatly. We will examine the best cat shavers available so you can take the guesswork out of your purchase and make sure your cat has nothing but the best.
Without further ado, here is the list of the best cat shavers available on the market today.
Top 8 Best Electric Shavers for Cats 2023
1. Best Overall Shaver: Wahl Professional Animal Bravura Pet Clipper
Why we like it: The Wahl Professional Animal Bravura includes a long-lasting lithium-ion battery. This professional clipper would be perfect for an at-home setting as well as a professional grooming parlor.
- Useable as a cord or cordless clipper
- Long-lasting lithium-ion battery
- Run time of 90 minutes
- ‘5 in 1’ blade
- Very quiet during operation
- 60 minute charging time
- 1-year warranty
The main feature that sets this shaver apart from the popular Wahl ARCO model is the powerful lithium-ion battery. This battery provides the Bravura with longer-lasting battery life as well as a shorter charging time.
If you’re looking for a cheaper option from the trusted Wahl brand, you can check out the ARCO.
While the Bravura might be a little pricier, it has a stronger motor and a longer running time than cheaper models. The Bravura is also sleekly designed and easy to handle. It is an excellent shaver for those who are just starting as well as seasoned pros. The short charging time also makes it ideal for cat owners with multiple cats.
In addition to all these great features, the Bravura can also operate while still plugged into the outlet. This gives it a bit of an edge over its competitors, as they must be fully charged to operate. Overall, this is an excellent and versatile cat shaver that is perfect for cats of any hair length.
- Operates quietly with little noise, or vibration
- The cordless/corded design makes it perfect to use anywhere.
- Comes with a comb and cleaning brush
- The price is a little higher than other corded models
- The kit includes only a few accessories
- The unit gets a little hot if used for a prolonged period of time
2. Best Budget Shaver: oneisall Pet Clipper Kit
Why we like it: This kit is affordable but still includes a safe and sharp blade and operates on a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. The blade is made of stainless steel and provides excellent performance.
- Quiet motor with low vibration
- Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery
- Great for all cat varieties, including thick coats
- Comes with six comb guides
- Charges in 80 minutes
- Has an 80-minute run time
The oneisall shaver is an excellent option for those cat owners who are budget conscious but still looking for a quality shaver. This model includes a lithium-ion battery, which is rare in this price range. This kit is ideal for cat owners of all breeds and varieties, including those with long or unruly hair.
The kit also includes six different length comb guides, as well as a blade cleaner and oil, and a stainless steel comb, which is great for everyday use. This shaver only emits a 50 dB noise so that it will provide a quiet and calming trim for your anxious cat.
This model operates well for 80 minutes and requires 80 minutes to charge fully. The long-lasting lithium-ion battery, lightweight design, and powerful motor are the reasons that this budget shaver is brilliant value for money.
- Portable and lightweight design
- Comes with many accessories
- Quiet and easy to handle
- Runs for 80 minutes
- While this shaver is great for home use, many professionals find that it lacks the power they need
- Takes up to 80 minutes to charge fully
3. Best Corded Shaver: Andis ProClip 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper
Why we like it: This professional-style corded option from Andis is equipped with durable, quality housing and features a robust and steady rotary motor system.
- Both the blade itself and the drive cap are removable
- Features Dual-speed technology (Between 2700 and 3400 strokes per minute)
- On/off button locks
- Heavy-duty cord reaches 14-feet
- The rotary motor is sealed inside and runs quite cool
The Andis ProClip 2 is designed to be efficient on all varieties of cats, with different fur lengths and coat types. This is another shaver that is perfect for those pet owners with several furries in the house.
The robust rotary motor system can handle both short-haired and long-haired cats and even anything in between. As a matter of fact, these ultra-durable clippers can be used on other household animals as well. The high-speed motor and the easy to change blades make this model great for multiple pet homes.
The removable blade system allows users to use both Ceramic Edge and Ultra Edge blades, which is perfect for cats with different hair lengths.
This shaver is also easy to navigate and won’t pull or tug. While the price might be a tad high for an amateur groomer, this model is of the utmost quality and stands out against its competitors.
- Expertly crafted rotary motor system
- Can be used on multiple pets
- Two-speed selection and swappable blades make it highly customizable for any hair length
- The basic model does not include any combs or accessories
- The cord might be a little too thick for beginners, which will make it harder to groom unruly cats
4. Best Clipper for Nervous Cats: Wahl Clipper Pet-Pro Dog Grooming Kit
Why we like it: This affordable kit comes from a name brand that you can trust, and the quiet nature of this shaver makes it perfect for nervous cats.
- Complete kit with numerous guards and accessories
- Quality shaver at an affordable price point
- The Powerdrive motor is powerful yet quiet
- Trims easily and doesn’t pull fur
The Wahl Clipper Pet-Pro is a fully equipped grooming kit that is ready to get you grooming right out of the box. The kit includes numerous guide combs, styling combs, a mirror, oil, cleaning brush, and a powerful yet quiet shaver. This is not only a budget-friendly option, but it is perfect for those looking to style their cat’s hair using the different length guide combs. Don’t let the price fool you, though. This is still a high-quality kit.
The blade is constructed with high-quality carbon steel blades that are self-sharpening. These blades will remain sharp for an extended period of time with no issues or sharpening. The included guide combs also make it a breeze to trim your cat’s fur to the perfect length or style. The guide combs also make sure that you are cutting your cat’s fur to the ideal length in one stroke, so your nervous cat will be finished and back to hiding under the couch in no time.
The Powerdrive motor is strong enough to handle thick or long hair, yet quiet and gentle sufficient for finicky felines. This ensures that your cat will have a comfortable and quiet trim.
- Comes with a complete kit and plenty of accessories out of the box
- Quiet yet strong enough to finish the job quickly
- Very affordable price-point
- Might not be powerful enough for cats with matted or dirty hair
- It comes in only the corded option, so it is not portable
Why we like it: This shaver is an excellent choice for cats with matted or dirty hair. The Constant Speed Control feature allows you to adjust on the fly.
- Blade automatically adjusts depending on the type of fur
- The extended life motor is rated for up to 10,000 hours of consistent use
- The ergonomic design is perfectly balanced and creates minimal vibration
- Operates at speeds of between 3,000 and 3,700 SPM
- The shaver includes a high-quality Ultimate Competition Series set of blades
If you are having difficulty cutting your cat’s dirty or matted hair, you are in luck. The Wahl KM10 is the perfect tool for getting through a challenging grooming situation.
While this shaver might be the most expensive product on our list, it is constructed of high-quality materials. It comes with state of the art features that any groomer would love. In fact, many groomers trust the Wahl KM10 in their own grooming parlors due to the versatility of this model’s design.
By far, the best feature of this product (and the reason that it is so expensive) is the constant speed control system. This feature prevents the blade from getting jammed up by rugged mats or long, unruly hair. The motor provides unrivaled torque. The blade is sharp enough to clip through even the most challenging, dirtiest hair mats around.
The balance between strength and delicacy, thanks to the constant control system, is the reason why this product is the best shaver for matted or dirty hair. Your cat will thank you after every use.
- With proper care, this highly durable motor will last years to come
- The ergonomic and low-vibration design reduces fatigue and cramping
- Can handle even the most rigid fur mats or clumps with ease and precision
- By far, the most expensive model on our list.
- All accessories must be purchased separately
- For most regular trims and touch-ups, the powerful torque of this model can be overkill
6. Best Complete Kit: Wahl Home Pet Pro-Series Clipper Kit
Why we like it: This Wahl kit is complete with brushes, trimmers, and clippers with various styles and options and contains everything you need to groom your cat.
- The durable self-sharpening blade that is easy to clean
- The Prodrive motor is designed to trim all hair types with ease
- Operates as cordless or corded
- Very quiet and easy to handle
The Wahl Home Pet Pro Complete Kit is a basic yet powerful clipper that is designed mostly for in-home use. This product itself operates quite well and has many of the features home groomers are looking for. Still, it isn’t quite as heavy-duty as the shavers listed above. That is not to say that this isn’t a quality shaver because it certainly has enough power to provide a clean-cut, especially at this price point.
One of this shaver’s best features is its ability to operate as both a corded or a cordless unit. It also comes with a self-sharpening blade that, with proper maintenance, will last for years to come. It is also made of high-quality stainless steel, so you will not need to replace the blade any time soon.
This model has both a 45 minute charge time and a 45 minute run time. Many users don’t find the short run time to be an issue since it can also operate as a corded shaver. Just don’t plan on tackling any long jobs without an outlet nearby.
The Wahl Home Pet Pro Complete Kit comes with the Wahl family of products guarantee as well as everything you need to groom your cat, out of the box. It might not be the strongest shaver on this list, but it has all the accessories you will ever need, along with a quality shaver.
- Operates as corded or cordless
- Comes with a complete kit of accessories and everything you will need to groom your cat
- Short charging time of only 45 minutes
- The short running time of only 45 minutes
- Not as strong as many of the other shavers on this list
- No changeable speeds or power settings
7. Best Cordless Shaver: Wahl Professional Animal Arco Cordless Clipper
Why we like it: The Wahl ARCO is considered to be the original "5-in-1" shaver and has proven to be a tried and true option for groomers and amateurs alike. This is a great cordless option for reaching hard to reach areas around the face, paws, and ears.
- Operates at 5,500 strokes per minute
- Comes with Dual-charge battery packs
- Charges in 75 minutes
- Has an 80 minute run time
- “5-in-1” adjustable blades creates multiple shavers in one
- Four guide combs included
The Wahl ARCO Cordless shaver is a professional grade device that you would see in any groomer’s arsenal. Many people think that this is one of the best and most versatile shavers on the market today. The Wahl brand has proven to be products that are made to last and built to high standards.
This shaver is both lightweight and portable. It also has the ability to operate at around 5,500 strokes per minute, which is higher than most of its competitors. The Wahl ARCO also runs at a cool temperature that will keep your cat comfortable and calm. The ARCO’s cordless nature also means that you won’t be tangling you or your cat in any pesky cables.
As any cat owner can attest, cats are hardly known for their desire to stand in one place when you need them to. Cats like to move around, and these portable clippers are the perfect companion to an active cat who can’t sit still. You won’t need to worry about confining your cat to a small space or harness when you are trimming, and for a cordless model, these trimmers are quite powerful as well.
The Wahl ARCO is not only an excellent shaver for regular trimming; it is highly portable, powerful, and holds a long charge to get the job done.
- Highly portable and perfect for active cats
- Holds a long charge and remains powerful throughout
- Highly adjustable and comes with four guide combs
- Ideal for hard to reach areas
- Does not come with additional accessories
- Some find the 5,500 SPMs to be too much
8. Best Shaver for Long Hair: Oster A5 Turbo 2-Speed Professional Clipper
Why we like it: This clipper has the power to operate at a speed of up to 400 strokes per minute, making it good for trimming tough hair.
- Two speeds that are adjustable from 3,000 to 4,000 strokes per minute
- Also compatible with other Oster brand A5 blades
- Comfortable and safe to hold
- Runs smoothly and quietly
The Oster A5 is the best choice for cats with long hair for a number of reasons. First of all, it has the option to select the speed between 3,000 and 4,000 strokes per minute without sacrificing efficiency. This means that it will trim through any tough or matted cat hair with ease.
Secondly, it is powerful while remaining safe and comfortable to use. The power actually increases this shaver’s safety by allowing the groomer to glide through even the toughest coat with ease. This shaver is built with a high-quality motor that remains powerful trim after trim, without creating excess noise or heat that will upset your cat. Also, due to the power of this shaver, you won’t have any irritation or pulling. When your cat is happy, you can be satisfied.
The best part about this shaver is how powerful it is without sacrificing efficiency. With other shavers, you will find that they are simply not powerful enough to do the trick. For long-haired cats or cats with dense fur, you need a powerful and safe clipper you can trust.
- The powerful motor makes this shaver perfect for trimming any pet
- The blade is exceptionally sharp
- This shaver is comfortable and durable, and the housing will stay cool even through prolonged grooming sessions
- The price of additional blades is a bit pricey
- No guide combs included
Guide to Buying the Best Cat Shaver
Now that we have looked at some reviews and detailed the best shavers in each category, it is time to discuss which shavers are best for different hair types and situations. Is your cat’s hair matted continuously or tangled? Does your cat have longer than average hair? These questions are essential to consider when looking for the perfect shaver for your cat and your unique situation.
Can Human Clippers Be Used for Pets?
Although some pet owners have no problems using human clippers on their cats or other animals, there are a few reasons why it is not the best idea.
Firstly, pet clippers and shavers are specially designed to dispel heat better than human clippers do. Secondly, human clippers tend to be a lot noisier, which might upset your cat. It is better to buy clippers designed, especially for the density of cat hair and a cat’s mannerisms.
What Shaver Is Best for Matted Fur?
Cats with long hair often experience a higher frequency of matted or tangled fur than shorter-haired cats. Even though they have beautiful and soft wispy hair when groomed, it takes no time at all for it to become a tangled mess again, mostly if grooming has been neglected. These tangles and mats can become quite painful for your cat, so they are essential to remove promptly.
When you are removing a clump of hair, be sure to use clippers or a grooming brush. The stainless steel brush in the Bravura kit is perfect for this situation. When you clip out the tangle, be sure their skin is pushed flat, then slowly clip it out.
The best clippers for matted or dirty fur run cool and quiet but are also powerful enough to get the job done quickly. A shaver such as the The Wahl KM10 is perfect for this job.
What Shaver Is Best for Persian Cats?
Persian cats are another breed of cats that have long and thick hair. It is crucial to find a clipper that is strong and durable enough to handle that much hair.
In reality, any of the shavers on this list would work for Persian cats. Still, you will want one that has a strong motor and lots of torque such as the Oster A5 to handle the constant demand of thick and long hair trimming.
These shavers have high powered and durable motors that are the top choice for many pros when dealing with Persian cats. The dual-speed blades also allow for precision trimming around the more challenging areas of your cat’s fur. Both of these models operate at high speeds, so it is wise to take a short break here and there to prevent them from getting too hot and making your cat uncomfortable.
Which Shavers Are Best for Long-Haired Cats?
As discussed above, any cat with long hair will likely develop mats or tangles eventually. Hence, it is essential to groom them often to prevent this from happening.
When you select a shaver for a cat with long hair, it is vital to choose one that doesn’t get too hot so your cat can remain calm and comfortable. It also needs to have enough power to handle the thick fur.
The Wahl Bravura Lithium-ion Clipper is one of the most widely used shavers for cats with long hair. It is quiet and operates cool, which makes for a quick and easy trim for long-haired cats. The included kit also comes with different comb guides that make styling fur easy and stress-free.
Your Cat’s Temperament
When you select the best shaver for your pet, it is paramount that you consider their attitude and their temperament, especially in stressful situations. Grooming can be highly stressful, even for well-behaved cats, so it is essential to think which shaver will make this as quick and painless as possible.
If you are dealing with a cat with anxiety or who is known to claw when stressed, it is best to choose a shaver that runs quiet, cool and comes with a powerful motor. A shaver such as the The Wahl Clipper Pet-Pro will be your best bet when dealing with an unruly cat.
For more tips on grooming your cat without the stress, check out the Vet Derm Clinic’s great guide.
How Can I Prevent Hair Matting?
Hair tangles or matting seems almost inevitable in cats, especially those with long hair. However, there are a few tricks you can use to make sure your cat remains mat-free.
Firstly, make sure your cat’s teeth and gums are healthy. Your cat’s teeth are their natural combs, and they use them to work out their mats on their own.
In addition, it is wise to start a routine of grooming and combing on a weekly basis. This will help to catch small mats and tangles before they develop into an unruly mess. You can buy special brushes at any pet store that work well, even on long-haired cats. Also, a mat breaker will easily break through those hard to handle tangles.
Lastly, petting your cat more often will also help them to prevent mats and tangles before they happen. As an added benefit, petting your cat will help to relieve your stress. It is also of the utmost importance to make sure your cat visits the vet regularly to check on their diet and overall health. If you can afford it, you can also take your cat to the groomer once a month.
For more tips on how to prevent hair matting, check out this blog from the Prestige Animal Hospital.
Finding the Best Clippers Shows Love for Your Cat
It is clear that you love and care for your cat; otherwise, you wouldn’t be concerned about finding the best clippers for their needs. The clippers that we have selected are the best clippers on the market today and will allow you to care for your cat with a personal touch. Investing in a decent shaver will save you expensive visits to the groomer and also keep your cat healthier by attacking mats before they develop.
Whichever shaver you decide on, you can rest assured that having a quality grooming tool will save you time and money and bring you and your cat closer together. If you’re looking for other ways to boost your grooming time with your cat, we have a guide to the best cat grooming gloves.