200+ Funny Fish Names for Your Fintastic Companion
Fish are far from boring – sure, you can’t pet them, cuddle them or take them for walks around the park, but it’s undeniable that they’re the stand-up comedians (and oddballs) of the sea. From their derpy gulps to their sand-throwing shenanigans, there’s a quirky charm about fish you can’t help but love. They never fail to crack you up and bring a smile to your face, even during the toughest of days.
Considering that fish are pure comedy gold, a hilarious name couldn’t be more apt for your new scaly companion. But searching for the perfect name doesn’t have to feel like you’re voyaging through a never-ending storm with no lighthouse to show you the way. Whether you want a funny name inspired by famous fishy characters (shout out to Nemo), or a punny name for your goldfish, we’ve got plenty of fintastic ideas here that will hook your attention and bait out a few (or dozen) laughs.
Most Popular Funny Fish Names
Let’s dive right into a collection of the most popular funny fish names. These are sure to do your fishy friend’s hilarious personality justice. Since it’s not always easy to tell if a fish is female or male, most of the suggestions included here are gender neutral.
- Aquaman: For a heroic scaly pal.
- Chowder: After the seafood stew.
- Jaws: Duunnn dunnn… Duuuunnnn duun…
- Magikarp: After the splashing Pokémon, renowned for its… extreme “usefulness.”
- Moby Dick
- Nori: Edible seaweed, a more unique name than “seaweed,” but just as funny!
- Pirate: Ay matey, a pirate’s life for ye.
- Popeye: After the iconic cartoon sailor.
- Scuba: For a fish that loves to dive deep.
- Small Fry
- Tartar: After tartar sauce.
Eely Cool Punny Fish Names
If you can’t resist a good pun, have a trawl through our wide array of punny fish name ideas. From pun names inspired by famous actors to ones based on historical figures, there are plenty of kraken options here to mullet over. Okay, we’ll stop carping on with all these puns now and let you get stuck in.
- Anchovy Hopkins: Anthony Hopkins.
- Billie EiFish: Billie Eilish.
- Bubble Fett: Boba Fett.
- Darth Baiter: Darth Vader.
- Doctor Cod: Doctor Who.
- Elfish Finley: Elvis Presley.
- Errol Fin: Errol Flynn.
- Fishtian Bale: Christian Bale.
- Fortuna Teller: Fortune teller.
- Guppy Goldberg: Whoopi Goldberg.
- Haddock Holmes: Sherlock Holmes.
- Harley Finn: Harley Quinn.
- James Pond: James Bond.
- McFish: McDonald’s.
- Meghan Mackerel: Meghan Markle.
- Swim Shady: Slim Shady.
- The Codfather: The Godfather.
- Tuna Turner: Tina Turner.
Funny Famous Fish Names
Geppetto’s pet goldfish Cleo in Pinocchio paved the way for anthropomorphized fictional fish, and since then, lovable fishy characters have appeared time and time again on the silver screen. Nemo, Dory, Flounder, Ponyo – there are many beloved aquatic characters with hilarious personalities (and monikers) to name your fish after.
- Ariel: From The Little Mermaid.
- Blinky: From The Simpsons.
- Bloat: From Finding Nemo.
- Chum: From Finding Nemo.
- Cleo: From
- Don Lino: From Shark Tale.
- Dory: From Finding Nemo.
- Flounder: From The Little Mermaid.
- Gill: From Finding Nemo.
- Gurgle: From Finding Nemo.
- Jabberjaw: From Jabberjaw.
- Katie Current: From Shark Tale.
- Klaus: From American Dad.
- Lenny: From Shark Tale.
- Marlin: From Finding Nemo.
- Limpet: From The Incredible Mr. Limpet.
- Puff: From SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Sanchez: From Shark Tale.
- Nemo: From Finding Nemo.
- Oscar: From Shark Tale.
- Ponyo: From
- Squidward: From SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Sykes: From Shark Tale.
- Ursula: From The Little Mermaid.
Wacky Fish Names
Since fish can’t recognize their names, you don’t have to keep it simple and short; it can be as complicated, lengthy and as serious as you like. If you’re looking for a wacky name that’s pretty out there (we’re talking along the lines of Sir Scaly McFin!), check out the hilarious suggestions below. A wacky moniker will definitely be a hit with kids, too.
- Captain Fisher
- Caviar: For a sofishticated scaly companion.
- Empress Bubbles
- Fancy Fins
- Fish Sticks
- Fur-bearing Trout: A legendary fish thought to have thick fur.
- Lil Chomper
- Loch Ness Monster: After the mythical aquatic monster, believed to inhabit Loch Ness.
- Long John Silver: From Treasure Island.
- Lord Bubbleton
- Luca Brasi: After The Godfather character that “sleeps with the fishes.”
- Michael Phelps: A fitting name if your fish is the fastest swimmer in the tank.
- Oyster Sauce
- Pudge: From Lilo & Stitch.
- Scaly McScaleface: Inspired by the viral sensation, Boaty McBoatface.
- Scrooge: For a fish that loves to keep to themselves and has a vendetta against every other fish that joyously swims about!
- Sergeant Fin
- Spartacus Finacus
Tough Funny Fish Names
Sure, your li’l fish might not be battling it out with a shark any time soon, but if they’re the boss of the tank, if they bear a battle wound, or if they simply have a larger-than-life personality, giving them a hilarious tough-sounding name is a fun way to honor them.
- Barracuda: After the fish renowned for its fierce looks.
- Bermuda: After the Bermuda Triangle.
- Captain Hook: From Peter Pan.
- Cersei: From Game of Thrones.
- Flying Dutchman: After the legendary ghost ship.
- Haku: River spirit from Spirited Away.
- Hammerhead: After the badass-looking shark.
- Hank: Just imagine a tiny fish being introduced as Hank. Pure comedy.
- Lara Croft: From Tomb Raider.
- Puffer: After pufferfish, the fish renowned for its deadliness – a single pufferfish contains enough toxins to kill 30 people. Yikes.
- Sharknado: After the iconic movie franchise about tornadoes made up of sharks. Yes, we’re not joking. These movies genuinely exist. David Hasselhoff even plays a part in Sharknado 3!
- Tidal Wave
Ironic Fish Names
Want an amusing name that’ll turn heads? Giving your fish a name that suggests the opposite of their aquatic nature is the surefire way to go.
- Colossus: For a tiny fish with a mighty personality.
- Groot: The Flora colossus from Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Hedwig: Harry Potter’s iconic (and extremely fluffy!) owl.
- Kermit: Famous goofy frog from The Muppets.
- Land dweller
- Puffle: The small, fluffball-like creatures from Club Penguin.
- Pusheen: Cartoon cat character.
- Totoro: The fluffy chinchilla-like creature from My Neighbor Totoro.
Funny Names for Fish Pairs
Have you adopted two fish because they were inseparable? Then there’s an opportunaty to name them after an iconic duo or things that go together, like salt and pepper. Or you could give their monikers an ironic spin by naming them after two characters that certainly don’t jell. No matter what you go for, pair names are definitely hilarious (and downright adorable).
- Batman and Robin: From the DC Universe.
- Biscuits and Gravy
- Bonnie and Clyde
- Davy Jones and Jack Sparrow: From Pirates of the Caribbean.
- Dipper and Mabel: From Gravity Falls.
- Doc and Marty: From Back to the Future.
- Dumb and Dumber: From Dumb and Dumber.
- Fish and Chips: Iconic British dish.
- Gin and Tonic
- Glinda and Elphaba: From
- Han Solo and Chewie: From Star Wars.
- Hiccup and Toothless: From How to Train Your Dragon.
- Jane and Doe
- Jekyll and Hyde: From Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
- Katniss and Prim: From The Hunger Games.
- Kermit and Miss Piggy: From The Muppet Show.
- Kirk and Spock: From Star Trek.
- Lannister and Stark: From Game of Thrones.
- Loki and Thor: From the Marvel Universe.
- Mario and Luigi: From the Mario
- Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy: From SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Michael and Dwight: From The Office.
- Mickey and Minnie: After the Disney characters.
- Moana and Maui: From
- Mufasa and Scar: From The Lion King.
- Oreo and Milk
- Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Phineas and Ferb: From Phineas and Ferb.
- R2-D2 and C-3PO: From Star Wars.
- Rocket and Groot: From the Marvel Universe.
- Romeo and Juliet
- Salt and Pepper
- Sherlock and Watson: From Sherlock Holmes.
- SpongeBob and Patrick: From SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Sprig and Polly: From
- Tic and Tac
- Woody and Buzz: From Toy Story.
Funny Fish Names Based on Species
Here, you’ll find chuckle-worthy names that take direct inspiration from several species of fish, including goldfish, tetras, clownfish and angelfish. While we don’t cover betta fish names in this list, we do have a dedicated list for them.
- Airhead: Goldfish (and other fish) actually have great memories!
- Garfield: After the iconic orange cartoon cat, famous for his laziness and goofy nature.
- Niffler: After the funny creature that loves shiny things from the Harry Potter franchise; fitting since a tetra’s scales shine beautifully!
- Tamatoa: Name of the hilarious crab from Moana, also loves “all things shiny.”
- Algae Nommer
- Meowth: After the Pokémon.
- Demon: For an angelfish that doesn’t quite live up to its species name.
- Shellstrop: After Eleanor Shellstrop, from The Good Place.
- Sky High
(Name ideas besides Nemo, we promise!)
- Acrobat: If your clownfish swirls and twirls in the water, why not honor their skill by naming them Acrobat? It’s fun, silly and has a circus vibe.
- Anemone: Anemones are the perfect beds for clownfish.
- Krusty: Clown from The Simpsons.
- Pearl Chomper
- Pennywise: After the evil clown from
- Ronald: After the McDonald’s clown.
- Sir Stripes-a-lot: Pun on Sir Lancelot.
- The Joker: Clown-like supervillain – fitting name for a mischievous clownfish.
Finding the Perfect Fish Name
Trying to decide on a particular name for your new scaly companion can feel like trying to determine the most colorful coral in a reef; there’s just so many eye-catching options reeling you in! If you’re at a loss, consider your fish’s personality, looks, habits and characteristics. Doing so will truly help you figure out the perfect name for your aquatic friend.
Keep in mind that while you have full creative freedom over your scaly companion’s name, make sure the whole family can pronounce it with ease – there’s no point naming your fishy “Spartacus Finacus” if it’s too difficult for your kid to say!