For centuries, horses have proven themselves to be the most noble, remarkable and majestic companions out there. They have carried brave warriors to victory, served by our side in wars, and blessed us with phenomenal racing feats and unforgettable show performances.
Even in ancient mythology, horses appeared as powerful, majestic beings. Pegasus, a legendary winged steed, was renowned for his courageous nature, overwhelming strength, and mesmerizing looks. Morvarc’h, another powerful horse from mythology, had the ability to gallop across waves, and blow fire out from his nostrils.
With that all said, however, there is another side to these dazzling steeds. When they’re not galloping majestically across the field and wowing onlookers with their elegance, they’re horsing around. From pulling dopey expressions, rolling around chaotically, to nomming on our hats, horses get up to all sorts of comical shenanigans.
Your new steed is bound to make you chuckle on a regular basis, so why not pay tribute to their hilarious nature with a funny moniker? Here are over 150 funny horse names for your perusal. Whether you enjoy punny names or outright silly names like “Hoof Hearted,” you’re sure to discover a name in our list that charms your heart and tickles your funny bone.
Best Funny Horse Names
These side-splitting horse names left us whinnying, neighing, and snorting in laughter. In our opinion, they’re the best of the best – the mane attractions in a stable of dozens. If you don’t share our sense of humor though, keep your hopes up and your eyes peeled; we’ve got tons of comical ideas to come.
- Applejack: From My Little Pony.
- Bandit: For a mischievous horse that has sticky hooves.
- Bashful: After the dwarf from Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs. A hilarious and adorable moniker that’ll fit any shy-natured steed.
- Bullseye: From Toy Story.
- Butt Stallion: From Borderlands 2.
- D-Horse: From Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
- Dave: Picturing a horse with a human name always makes us chuckle.
- Debt Maker: Horses are expensive – especially if you can’t resist buying them fancy gear and tasty treats!
- Dictator: For a horse that won’t take no for an answer.
- Divorce Settlement: For fans of dark humor.
- Doofenshmirtz: From Phineas and Ferb.
- Dynamite: Apt moniker for a steed overflowing with chaotic energy.
- Foxtrot: After the dance style.
- Frou-Frou: From
- Gannet: British slang, meaning greedy. Suitable name if your steed is a big foodie.
- High Maintenance: Fitting moniker for an extra-pampered horse.
- Houdini: If your mischievous horse has a knack at opening stall doors, or is almost impossible to catch, name them after the most famous escape artist in history: Harry Houdini.
- Lady Hooves: Funny moniker for a horse that exudes royalty.
- Loki: After the trickster god.
- Maximus: From
- Mister Ed: From Mister Ed.
- Mule in Disguise
- My Allowance
- Rapidash: Horse-like Pokémon with a fiery side.
- Roach: From The Witcher.
- Road Runner: After the Looney Tunes cartoon character, hilarious name for a speedy steed.
- Sasquatch: After bigfoot, the ape-like monster.
- Scootaloo: From My Little Pony.
- Shazam: After the comedic superhero.
- Shmooshy: Name of a horse owned by Kaley Cuoco.
- Sir Long Face
- Skippity Doo
- Sleeping Beauty: For a mare that loves sleeping, napping, and snoozing.
- Slip and Slide: For a clumsy horse that hasn’t quite mastered strutting with style.
- Tabasco: For a hot-tempered stallion.
- Tornado: Name of Zorro’s steed.
- Trigger: Name of Roy Rogers’ equine co-star.
- Tuatara: After the fastest car in the world, SSC Tuatara. Name your neighing companion this if they’re the slowest horse you’ve met.
- Waltz: Makes for an ironic moniker if your pony has a bumbling nature.
- Warlord: For a steed destined for… “good.”
- Seldom Seen: After the famous small dressage horse.
Ironic Funny Horse Names
If you’re looking for a laugh, you can never go wrong with irony. Check out these hilarious horse names that stand out due to their anything BUT horse vibe.
- Batman: From the DC Universe.
- Buckaroo: After the game featuring a bucking mule.
- Cactus: For a horse with a “prickly” temperament.
- Chewbacca: From Star Wars.
- Dobby: From Harry Potter.
- Hound: Fitting name if your horse is “barking” mad!
- Jabba: After Jabba the Hutt, from Star Wars.
- Nagini: Voldemort’s snake, from Harry Potter.
- Slowpoke: After the Pokémon that lives life like a couch potato.
- Snail Mail
- The Beast: If you’re the lucky owner of an adorable Shetland pony, name them “The Beast” for ultimate irony.
- Tinkerbell: Steed bigger than the norm? Then give them the ironic name Tinkerbell.
- Zebra: Close enough to a horse, right?
Punny Horse Names
What do you say to a pony that won’t go to sleep? Go to bed, it’s pasture bedtime!
Where do horses go when they feel ill? The horsepital.
What do you say to a foal that’s up to no good? Stop foaling around.
If you enjoyed those punny jokes, the names below are sure to leave you horse from laughter.
- Amareican: Pun on American.
- Anne Hathaneigh or Anne Havetoneigh: Pun on Anne Hathaway.
- Beatrix Trotter: Pun on Beatrix Potter.
- Colt Calling: Pun on ”cold calling.”
- Colt Feet: Pun on ”cold f”
- Colt Hemsworth: Pun on Chris Hemsworth.
- Dapplegänger: Pun on Doppelgänger – apt for a dappled horse.
- David Hasselhoof: Pun on David Hasselhoff.
- Edgar Allen Pony: Pun on Edgar Allen Poe.
- Financially Stable: What is a horse’s favorite type of job? One that’s financially
- Foal Play: Pun on “foul play.”
- Foal Throttle: Pun on full throttle.
- Foal-mouthed: Pun on foul-mouthed.
- Forrest Jump: Pun on Forrest Gump.
- Glass Hoof Foal: Pun on “glass half full.”
- Harry Trotter: Pun on Harry Potter, from the Harry Potter
- Hay Fever
- Herdened Criminal: Pun on hardened criminal; ideal moniker for a steed with a badass personality.
- Hermioneigh: After Hermione, from Harry Potter.
- High Horse: Get off your…
- Hoof Jackman: Pun on Hugh Jackman.
- Hoovesenstein: Pun on Frankenstein.
- Jennifer Lawreince: Pun on Jennifer Lawrence.
- John Herd: Pun on John Heard.
- Jon Bon Pony: Pun on Jon Bon Jovi.
- Leon Trotsky
- Luke Skytrotter: After Luke Skywalker, from Star Wars.
- Mane Attraction: Pun on “main attraction.”
- Mane Knight: Pun on Wayne Knight.
- Maregot Robbie: Pun on Margot Robbie.
- Maremaid: Pun on Mermaid.
- Mayoneighs: Pun on mayonnaise.
- Morgan Freemane: Pun on Morgan Freeman.
- Neighbelline: Maybe it’s neighbelline.
- Neighlaska: Pun on Alaska.
- Neighmare: Pun on nightmare, apt moniker for a hotheaded steed that wreaks havoc as a hobby.
- Neighsayer: Pun on naysayer. Fitting for a horse with a rebellious side.
- Neighture: Pun on nature.
- Neighville Longbottom: After Neville Longbottom, from Harry Potter.
- Neighvy: Pun on Navy.
- Paul Neighman: After Paul Newman.
- Post Marelone: Pun on Post Malone.
- Rein It In
- Reinfall: Pun on rainfall.
- Robert De Neighro: Robert De Niro.
- Rosemarey: Pun on rosemary.
- Sir Neighsalot: Pun on Sir Lancelot.
- Sir Winsalot: Pun on Sir Lancelot.
- Sylvester Stallion: Pun on Sylvester Stallone.
- Tater Trot: Pun on “tater tot.”
- Thanorse: Pun on Thanos, from the Marvel Comics Universe.
- Thoroughbread: Pun on thoroughbred.
- Thundercolt: Pun on thunderbolt.
- Usain Colt: Pun on Usain Bolt.
- Whinny the Pooh: Pun on Winnie-the-Pooh
Hilarious Racehorse Names
Some racehorses didn’t just become famous for their talent – their hilarious names struck a chord with millions, and left racing announcers stumbling over their words.
Keep in mind that many of these names are not ideal for everyday use. A fair number of them are extremely long (and inappropriate!). However, if you’re looking for a funny nickname for your horse, or a potential “unofficial” racehorse name, you’ve come to the right place.
- ARRRRR: A racehorse whose owner was clearly a fan of pirates.
- Bofa Deez Nuts: Ironically, Bofa Deez Nuts is actually a gelding.
- Covfefe: Named after former President Donald Trump’s infamous viral tweet. Despite Covfefe’s hilarious name, her prowess on the track is no joke.
- Denman’s Call: Named after the famous announcer, Trevor Denman.
- Doremifasollatido: You can’t help but sing this horse’s name!
- Effinex: This horse’s name means “integrity and efficiency” in German. However, say it quickly aloud and it takes on a whole new meaning.
- First Dude: Named after Todd Palin. First dude did live up to his name; he won the 2011 Hollywood Gold Cup, among other races.
- Flat Drunk: Flat Drunk was certainly not seeing double during her debut race, which she won at two years old.
- Flat Fleet Feet: With his hilarious tongue twister name, Flat Fleet Feet is an announcer’s worst nightmare.
- Ghostzapper: A highly successful racehorse with a wacky name that earned millions during his career.
- Hoof Hearted: A name that’s scandalous, daring and… totally reeks.
- Horsey McHorseface: Clearly inspired by Boaty McBoatface.
- I’ll Have Another: This hilariously named horse achieved great success, winning the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes in 2012.
- Maythehorsebewithu: A great punny name for all the Star Wars fanatics out there.
- Mywifenosevrything and Thewifedoesntknow: Astonishingly, these two hilarious-named horses ended up racing against each other.
- Odor In The Court: An unforgettable name, even if this racehorse didn’t exactly make a big “stink” in the racing world.
- Onoitsmymothernlaw: This horse brought forth the fantastic commentary: “Onoitsmymothernlaw won’t go away!”
- Passing Wind: An apt name for a horse with a… flatulent nature.
- Potoooooooo: This hilariously-named racehorse went down in history as one of the greats, winning over 30 races and defeating some of the most reputable racehorses during his time. Apparently, the hilarious name was a result of a misunderstanding: Initially called Potato, Potoooooooo’s owner requested a stable boy to write the horse’s moniker on the feed bin. Sadly, the stable boy was not exactly literate, and ended up writing Pot – with eight o’s. The owner found this so hilarious, he decided to change the official spelling of Potato’s name to Potoooooooo.
- Yakahickamickadola: Just listen to this hilarious race call.
- Zippy Chippy: This steed became famous for being the worst racehorse ever, losing 100 races. Poor Zippy Chippy.
Other Noteworthy Funny Racehorse Names
Yep, all these names were actually approved as well – even “Little Knickers.”
- Another Horse
- Flying Boat
- Game On Dude
- Irish War Cry
- Little Knickers
- Luv Gov
- Maximum Security
- Panty Raid
- Peony’s Envy
- Pollard’s Vision
- Rata Tat Kat
- Smarty Jones
- Sofa Can Fast
- Two In The Pink
- Wear The Fox Hat
Rejected Funny Racehorse Names
Be warned, a fair few of these names are not exactly SFW when read aloud, despite how innocent they may seem in their written form!
- Anita B Jaynow
- Anita Bath
- Are Soles to You
- Arfur Foulkesaycke
- Ben Timover
- Choke the Chicken
- Hucking Fell
- Hugh G Dildeaux
- Jack Schitt
- Pee Nesenvy
Picking a Funny Horse Name
With their quirky antics and goofy personalities, horses are a never ending source of amusement. All the names we’ve suggested above will definitely live up to your horse’s hilarious nature.
Whichever name you decide on, make sure it’s a name you’ll be comfortable shouting out across the field – while internally reading “Passing Wind” may leave you giggling, saying it out loud when there are others around can be a whole different experience.
If you haven’t found a name you like here, giddy-up and gallop your way to our famous horse names list for more inspiration.