130+ Grey Cat Names for Your Little Grey Furball
Has a lovable (and at times wicked) little furball recently entered your life? Or are you impatiently awaiting the arrival of your newest four-legged friend? Well, then you might be on the prowl for the perfect name for your saucy little feline. And if that’s the case, you’ve come to the right place because we have hundreds of cool and trendy cat names for you to choose from.
Although some of the names on our list, like Cleocatra, can be given to cats of all colors, shapes, and sizes, the vast majority of them are tailored toward cool grey cats. But no matter what you’re searching for, you’re bound to find a name that you like on our list.
Our list of grey cat names is broken up into sections to help you find the best possible name for the newest addition to your family. On top of popular names for male and female cats, our list includes names that are inspired by food, nature, colors, fictional characters, and puns!
- Names for Female Grey Cats
- Names for Male Grey Cats
- Grey Cat Names Inspired by Other Animals
- Grey Cat Names Inspired by Food
- Grey Cat Names Inspired by Fictional Characters
- Magical & Spiritual Names for Grey Cats
- Funny Names for Grey Cats
- Grey Cat Names Inspired by Different Languages
- Finding a Name That Sticks
Names for Female Grey Cats
Are you expecting a female kitty in the near future? And does she happen to have stunning grey fur? If so, you might want to give her a name that does her coat justice.
Below, you’ll find dozens of color-related names that would make any cat purr in approval. You’ll also find some names that have nothing to do with the color grey but were simply too cute for us to omit.
- Angel – Because every cat is an angel, no matter the color of its fur.
- Artemis – The Greek goddess of wild nature and hunting, need we say more?
- Bella – Because she’s a beauty.
- Bluebelle – Perfect for refined cats who are so grey they appear blue.
- Champagne – A great pick for light grey cats that border on beige.
- Charcoal – For dark grey cats.
- Diamond – For classy kitties of the light grey variety.
- Greycie – For graceful grey cats.
- Katana – A Japanese steel sword.
- Luna – Means “moon” and was one of the most popular pet names of 2023.
- Marble – For grey, white, and black cats.
- Mercury – Perhaps your kitty will enjoy being named after a beautiful, grey planet?
- Molly – One of the most popular girl cat names in America.
- Pearl – A great name for light grey cats.
- Pebble – An adorable and nature-inspired name for small grey cats.
- Pepper – You’re not allergic to cats, Pepper just makes you sneeze.
- Rain – A great choice for rain-lovers.
- Shimmer – For cats with dazzling coats.
- Silky – For cats with soft fur.
- Silver – The perfect name for a grey cat with silver hues.
- Silverbelle – For a silver beauty.
- Sky – A celestial name for your divine feline.
- Stardust – A dreamy name for your kitty.
- Stormy – For temperamental grey cats.
- Taupe – For grey-brown cats.
- Tinsel – A great name for grey cats born around Christmas.
- Willow – One of the most popular cat names for females in 2019.
- Windy – A cute name that can represent your cat’s tousled grey coat.
Names for Male Grey Cats
If you’re looking for a name for your male cat, our list won’t lead you astray. Below, you’ll find a wide variety of names that range from cute and cuddly to tough and scary. Most of the names on our list have to do with the color grey. However, we chose to include some of the most popular names for male cats, too.
You may like options like Domino, Oreo, and Rocket if you’re searching for a traditional name. Or names like Coal, Pewter, and Sterling if you’re looking for something a little more original.
- Asteroid – A grey and rocky object that orbits the sun.
- Bandit – Because he stole your heart.
- Blue – For grey cats who appear blue.
- Bullet – For a grey cat with a serious case of the zoomies.
- Caeso – A Roman name that means “blue-grey.”
- Carbon – A dark grey chemical element.
- Coal – A brownish-back sedimentary rock.
- Davy – A dark grey color.
- Disco – For cats that sparkle like disco balls.
- Domino – A popular name for white, grey, and black cats.
- Dusty – A great name for a light grey cat.
- Fog – A gaseous vapor that appears grey.
- Ghost – A great name for grey cats born around Halloween.
- Grady – A cute name for male cats that sounds like the word “grey.”
- Granite – A grey intrusive igneous rock.
- Griffin – A popular name for male cats that are either beige or grey.
- Iron – A grey chemical element.
- Jet – A type of grey.
- Leo – The Leo zodiac sign and a popular name for male cats.
- Lloyd – English name that means “grey.”
- Marengo – A blackish-grey color.
- Moon – A celestial name for cats who are the same color as the moon.
- Obsidian – A volcanic glass. A great name for a black or dark grey cat.
- Oreo – A popular name for male cats.
- Pewter – A light grey metal.
- Periwinkle – An adorable name for cats that are so grey they appear blue or lilac.
- Phantom – A spooky name for cats born around Halloween.
- Pipe – For a steel-colored cat.
- Puff – For your little grey puffball.
- Rocket – For super fast grey cats.
- Saber – A cavalry sword made out of metal.
- Shadow – A common name for black and grey cats.
- Smokey – For cats who are so grey they resemble smoke.
- Smudge – An adorable name for little grey cats.
- Sterling – The United Kingdom’s currency, making it a great choice for British Shorthair
- Stone – For grey cats with stone-colored coats.
- Zipper – A charming name for grey cats.
- Zorro – A popular name for grey and black cats.
Grey Cat Names Inspired by Other Animals
If you’d like to name your cat after an animal, you have plenty of furry and scaly critters to choose from. However, instead of listing every cute animal we could think of, we chose to solely include animals that are just as grey as your kitty.
Grey Cat Names Inspired by Food
If you’re a first-time cat owner, you’ll soon find out that cats are obsessed with food. In fact, cats are so excited to eat, they’ll meow your ear off when it comes close to feeding time. With this in mind, we thought it would be appropriate to build a list of names inspired by food.
However, since you’re welcoming a grey cat into your life, we chose to model our list after grey and greyish-beige foods, as these will do your kitty’s coat justice.
- Baba Ghanoush
Grey Cat Names Inspired by Fictional Characters
It’s common for pet owners to name their animals after some of their favorite on-screen characters. So, we looked through some of the most beloved movies and TV shows and found the names of the most popular grey cats and fictional characters in cinematic history.
You’ll find that many of the names listed below have to do with the color of your cat’s fur. However, you can name your cat after a badass fictional character that has nothing to do with the color grey if that’s your prerogative.
- Ash – From “Pokémon.”
- Beerus – From “Dragon Ball Super.”
- Bender – From “Futurama.”
- Berlioz – From “The Aristocats.”
- Cheshire – From “Alice in Wonderland.”
- Cooper Cat – From “Toon Blast.”
- Diana – From “Sailor Moon.”
- Fat Cat – From “Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers.”
- Gandalf the Grey – From “The Lord of the Rings.”
- Grizabella – From “Cats.”
- Jean Grey – From “X-Men.”
- Katniss – From “The Hunger Games.”
- Lupin – From “Harry Potter.”
- Jinx – From “Meet the Parents.”
- Munkustrap – From “Cats.”
- Nermal – From “Garfield.”
- Newt – From “Fantastic Beasts.”
- Onyx – From “Pokémon.”
- Rita Cat – From “Animaniacs.”
- Scratchy – From “The Simpsons.”
- Snape – From “Harry Potter.”
- Storm – From “X-Men.”
- Tom Cat – From “Tom & Jerry.”
Magical & Spiritual Names for Grey Cats
It’s no secret that cats have been linked to witches, warlocks, and magic for many millennia. In fact, cats were even worshipped in ancient Egypt because they were believed to ward off negative energies and bring about good luck. With this in mind, many antiquarians and spiritually-inclined individuals choose to give their cats magical names.
If you’re searching for a magical name for your grey cat, check out the list below.
- Aura – A field of energy that surrounds all living things.
- Bastet – An Egyptian goddess who could transform into a cat.
- Buckbeak – A hippogriff from “Harry Potter.”
- Cadabra – From the magical phrase “abracadabra.”
- Chakra – Nodes that are meant to bring balance to the subtle body.
- Charm – A magical incantation.
- Coven – A gathering of witches.
- Glinda – From “The Wizard of Oz.”
- Grimoire – A book of magic spells.
- Kiki – From “Kiki’s Delivery Service.”
- Merlin – A legendary magician from the “Arthurian Legend.”
- Oracle – A priest or priestess who channels prophecies or messages.
- Pharaoh – A title that was used for the monarchs of ancient Egypt.
- Rune – A magical mark or letter.
- Sage – An herb that is burned to clear negative energies.
- Salem – From the infamous Salem witch trials.
- Shaman – A person who interacts with the spirit world and inspires healing.
- Sprite – An elvish creature.
- Tarot – After Tarot Cards.
- Tivali – The name of Cleopatra’s favorite cat.
- Witch – A female who can perform magic.
- Wizard – A male who can perform magic.
Funny Names for Grey Cats
Are you looking for a name that will make you, and those around you, chuckle every time you call out to your cat? Well, then you may take a liking to the punny names listed below.
- Barbara Wire
- Cat Benatar
- Cindy Clawford
- Earl Grey
- Grey Catsby
- Santa Claws
- Slim Shady
- 50 Shade
Grey Cat Names Inspired by Different Languages
If your cat has a grey coat, you can always choose to name them Grey. Not only is this name cute and easy to pronounce, but it’s straight to the point. However, if you’d like to give your cat a name that means “grey” without it being too obvious, you can draw inspiration from other languages.
- Cinza – Means “grey” in Portuguese.
- Gin – Means “silver” in Japanese.
- Grigio – Means “grey” in Italian.
- Gris – Means “grey” in French.
- Grisa – Means “grey” in Basque.
- Hinahina – Means “grey” in Hawaiian.
- Pilka – Means “grey” in Lithuanian.
- Prata – Means “silver” in Portuguese.
- Rupa – Means “silver beauty” in Hindi.
- Rupal – Means “made of silver” in Hindi.
- Siva – Means “grey” in Croatian.
- Yin – Means “silver” in Chinese.
Finding a Name That Sticks
Whether you adopt a pet online, rescue a stray, or buy one from a breeder, there will come a time when you have to give them a proper name. However, as you may already know, finding the perfect name for your kitten isn’t always easy, especially when there are tons of cute options to choose from.
Many pet owners choose names that are short and easy to pronounce, as this can help their kitty learn their name relatively quickly. Choosing a shorter name may also reduce the costs of having it engraved on an ID tag. What’s most important, however, is that you choose a name that you love and will never grow tired of calling.