160+ Nerdy Cat Names to Show off Your Geek Pride
Self-proclaimed nerd? Then you’ll need a name for your feline that reflects your passions. Nerdy cat names are adorable, fun and sure to be a hit with your D&D party members.
In the past, announcing your nerdiness to the world was probably not the way to score popularity points (albeit with your like-minded fellows). But in recent years, there’s been a drastic shift in perception, no doubt thanks to stereotypical “nerdy” interests – like superheroes and video games – hitting it mainstream. In fact, we’ll go as far as to say being a nerd is now pretty trendy.
Of course, irrespective of what others think, it’s important to be proud of your passions and stay true to yourself; giving your cat a geeky name is the best way to show off your nerd pride! Whether you’re a hardcore gamer, tech guru, or regular guest at Comic-Con, our list of over 160 nerdy cat names will definitely have at least one that captures your heart (just like Chewie did).
Cat Names Based on Comic Characters
Comic books are filled to the brim with unique and interesting characters, so it’s no surprise they offer a wealth of inspiration for names. Whether your feline has the courage of a superhero, or gets up to shenanigans and mischief just like a villain, you’re sure to find a comic character here which matches their personality.
- Batman: From the DC Universe, a vigilante that protects Gotham City.
- Clark: From Superman’s alter ego name, Clark Kent.
- Cyclops: Mutant hero and founding member of the X-Men.
- Deadpool: Antihero in the Marvel Universe, renowned for his sense of humor and being the “Merc with a Mouth.”
- Diana: Name of DC superheroine, Wonder Woman.
- Gambit: X-Men member capable of manipulating kinetic energy, famous for his prowess at card throwing.
- Gamora: Part of the Guardians of the Galaxy, nicknamed the “deadliest woman of the galaxy.”
- Groot: A Guardian like Gamora, iconic for his “I am Groot” line.
- Harley: After DC’s supervillianess, Harley Quinn.
- Hawkeye: Deadly with a bow, member of the Avengers.
- Hulk: A Marvel Comics character known for his superhuman strength and destructive rage.
- J.J.: After Jessica Jones, the Marvel superhero that works as a private investigator, and possesses superhuman strength and durability.
- Joker: DC supervillain and Batman’s archnemesis, considered to be a criminal mastermind.
- Logan: Name of mutant and X-Men member, Wolverine.
- Loki: After Marvel’s conniving trickster character.
- Maximoff: Wanda Maximoff, The Scarlet Witch.
- Panther: After the Marvel superhero, Black Panther.
- Parker: Spider-Man’s alter ego, Peter Parker.
- Shazam: Superhero alter ego of Billy Batson, the boy chosen to be a champion of good.
- Starfire: Koriand’r (Starfire) is a Teen Titan member, and the princess of Tamaran.
- Thanos: The terrifying warlord in the Marvel Universe.
- Thor: Hammer-wielding Marvel superhero based on the Norse god of thunder and lightning.
Cat Names Based on Movies and Shows
If you spend your evenings binge-watching sci-fi series, and your weekends partaking in movie marathons, why not name your feline after one of your favorite on-screen characters? There’s no better way to show you’re a dedicated fan, and your cat’s name will definitely be unique.
From Star Wars to Game of Thrones, there are plenty of nerdy shows and movies. If you’re a superfan of Star Wars, make sure to also browse our Star Wars cat names list for some more “otherworldly” inspiration.
- Arwen: From The Lord of the Rings.
- Arya: From Game of Thrones.
- Ash: From Pokémon.
- Bender: From
- Bilbo: From The Hobbit.
- Butcher: Short for Billy Butcher, from The Boys.
- Caleb: From Ex Machina.
- Cara: From The Mandalorian.
- Chewie: From Star Wars.
- Daenerys: From Game of Thrones.
- Eleven: From Stranger Things.
- Frodo: From The Lord of the Rings.
- Gandalf: From The Lord of the Rings.
- Gizmo: From
- Gollum: From The Lord of the Rings.
- Harmon: From The Queen’s Gambit.
- Jabba: From Star Wars.
- Katniss: From The Hunger Games.
- Kenobi: Short for Obi-Wan Kenobi, from Star Wars.
- Kirk: From Star Trek.
- Kovacs: From Altered Carbon.
- Legolas: From The Lord of the Rings.
- Leia: Princess Leia, from Star Wars.
- Luke: Luke Skywalker, from Star Wars.
- Maeve: Short for Queen Maeve, from The Boys.
- Mando: Nickname of the Mandalorian.
- Marty: From Back to the Future.
- Mikasa: From Attack On Titan.
- Mulder: Short for Fox Mulder, from The X-Files.
- Oberyn: From Game of Thrones.
- Parzival: From Ready Player One.
- Potter: From Harry Potter.
- Quellcrist: From Altered Carbon.
- Rick: From Blade Runner.
- Rita: From Edge of Tomorrow.
- Spock: From Star Trek.
- Starlight: From The Boys.
- Truman: From The Truman Show.
- Tyrion: From Games of Thrones.
- Xena: From Xena: Warrior Princess.
- Yoda: From Star Wars.
Gamer Cat Names
Games offer rich and immersive experiences that remain as fond memories in our hearts for years. By giving your feline a name inspired by your favorite game, you’ll be reminded of these heartwarming memories every moment you’re with them.
These cat name ideas come from various types of games (RPG, MOBA, FPS), both new and old. So, whether you’re a PC gamer who spends their nights fighting battle bosses, or a die-hard console gamer with a love for all things retro, you’ll find a name here that resonates.
- Bastion: From
- Chief: Short for Master Chief, from the Halo series.
- Clementine: From Telltale’s The Walking Dead.
- Cloud: From Final Fantasy.
- Dante: From Devil May Cry.
- Drake: Short for Nathan Drake, from the Uncharted series.
- Ellie: The strong and tough lead character in The Last of Us.
- Ezio: From Assassin’s Creed.
- Frisk: From
- Geralt: From The Witcher.
- Gnar: Prehistoric Yordle in League of Legends.
- Gordon: After Gordon Freeman, from Half-Life.
- Kass: Short for Kassandra, from Assassin’s Creed.
- Kong: From Donkey Kong.
- Kratos: From God of War.
- Lara: Short for Lara Croft, From Tomb Raider.
- Lee: From Telltale’s The Walking Dead.
- Lina: From Dota 2.
- Link: From The Legend of Zelda.
- Marcus: From Watch Dogs 2.
- Mario: From Mario
- Max: From Life Is Strange.
- Meowth: From Pokémon.
- Monika: From Doki Doki Literature Club.
- Peach: Short for Princess Peach, from the Mario
- Pikachu: From Pokémon.
- Ryu: From Capcom’s Street Fighter series.
- Sans: From
- Senua: From Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice.
- Snake: Short for Solid Snake, from the Metal Gear series.
- Spyro: From
- Tracer: From
- Trico: From The Last Guardian.
- Ursa: From Dota 2.
- Yone: From League of Legends.
- Yuumi: Magical feline in League of Legends.
- Zelda: From The Legend of Zelda.
Names Inspired by Maths and Science
Built a career off of your love for science or math? Then you’re sure to appreciate all these scientific and mathematical cat names. From influential figures, to names of constellations, we’ve taken inspiration from several fields of study.
Giving your furbaby a math or science-related name doesn’t just honor their intellect, it also honors those throughout history who worked hard to unveil the world’s secrets and make it a better place.
- Alice: Chemist Alice Ball is famous for discovering the most effective leprosy treatment.
- Bell: Jocelyn Bell Burnell was the first person ever to discover pulsars, a feat that was called “one of the most significant scientific achievements of the 20th century.”
- Berners: Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web.
- Curie: Marie Skłodowska Curie was renowned for her research on radioactivity. She was also the first woman to win a Nobel Prize.
- Darwin: Surname of Charles Darwin, most known for his work on evolution.
- Einstein: Surname of Albert Einstein, famous for his theory of relativity.
- Emmy: Mathematician Amalie Emmy Noether discovered Noether’s theorem.
- Euclid: Greek mathematician, founder of geometry.
- Hawking: Surname of Stephen Hawking, well-known for his groundbreaking work on black holes.
- Hubble: After the Hubble Space Telescope.
- Leo: After Galileo made significant contributions to science, often nicknamed the “founding father” of observational astronomy, modern science and scientific method.
- Libra: After the constellation.
- Lovelace: Ada Lovelace, considered to be the first computer programmer in the world.
- Maxwell: James Clerk Maxwell is most known for his theory of electromagnetism.
- Miletus: After Thales of Miletus, one of the first mathematicians.
- Newton: Surname of Sir Isaac Newton, renowned for being one of the greatest mathematicians of all time.
- Nicolaus: After astronomer and mathematician Nicolaus Copernicus, best known for his model of the universe.
- Nobel: Short for Nobel Prize; perfect name for a smart kitty (even if they won’t be taking home an actual noble prize!).
- Orion: After the famous
- Sirius: After the night sky’s brightest star.
- Taurus: After the constellation.
- Triton: Neptune’s largest moon.
- Turing: Hailed the father of computer science, and famous for cracking the Enigma machine
Tech-Inspired Cat Names
Technology has taken the world by storm. If you’ve been swept up in the craze, consider a tech name for your new feline. Techie cat names are fun, conversation starters and trendy to a T. Plus, if your feline treats your laptop as their own personal heated bed, despite how much you protest, a tech-inspired name couldn’t be more fitting!
- Bezos: Founder of Amazon.
- Gates: Founder of Microsoft.
- Page and Brin: Founders of Google.
- Zuckerberg: Creator of Facebook.
Finding the Ultimate Nerdy Cat Name
Comic book lover, gamer, tech guru – no matter what kind of nerd you are, you can’t go wrong with a cat name inspired by your passion. In fact, by picking such a name, you can rest assured you’ll never become bored of it, or end up regretting your decision.
That said, we recommend sticking to a name that’s not too complicated. No more than three syllables is ideal. The simpler it is, the easier it’ll be for your cat to process and recognize (even if they choose to ignore your calls!).
Once you’ve settled on a name, you can finally get started on preparing your furbaby for the next big step in their life – becoming a part of your family, and of course, an honorary member of your D&D party.