Hamsters make great pets. They’re quiet, easy to look after, and let’s face it: they’re downright adorable. They are literal fluffballs, and their little nose wriggles make you want to cuddle them for eternity. That’s not even considering the cute antics they get up to, from running marathons in their wheel to stuffing veggies in their cheek pouches.
If you’ve recently adopted a bundle of fluff, you’ll need a name that’s just as adorable as they are. Luckily, we’ve got you covered. From cute names inspired by food to ones inspired by their looks, you’re sure to find a name here that wins over your heart as much as your new furry friend has.
Hamster Names With Cutesy Meanings
We’ll kick off with some names that have cutesy meanings. These names are all sweet-sounding and connote beauty, grace, happiness, or fluffiness.
- Akemi: Meaning beautiful sunrise.
- Alina: Meaning gorgeous, bright, light.
- Amara: Meaning everlasting, grace.
- Bona: After Bona Dea, Roman goddess of healing.
- Bonnie: Meaning beautiful and cheerful.
- Callie: Meaning beautiful.
- Candra: Meaning glowing.
- Clover: Associated with luck and good fortune.
- Evie: Meaning lively.
- Fuwafuwa: Meaning light and fluffy in Japanese.
- Hanna: Meaning grace.
- Hinata: Meaning “sunny place” in Japanese.
- Kawaii: Meaning “cute” in Japanese.
- Mabel: Meaning lovable, beautiful, dear.
- Pax: Roman goddess of peace.
- Sirona: Meaning healing goddess.
- Snookums: A term of endearment.
- Stella: Meaning star.
- Suki: Meaning beloved.
- Talia: Meaning dew of God.
- Venus: After the Roman goddess of love and beauty.
- Adio: Meaning righteous, fair.
- Asher: Meaning blessed, fortunate.
- Axel: A name associated with peace.
- Calixto: Meaning beautiful.
- Carino: “Cute” in Italian.
- Channer: Meaning wise.
- Cupid: God of affection and love.
- Ervin: Meaning beautiful.
- Florin: Meaning flourish, blossoming.
- Galen: Meaning calm, collected.
- Lindo: “Cute” in Spanish.
- Onni: Meaning lucky, happiness.
- Oscar: Meaning friend of deer.
- Rinji: Meaning tranquil forest.
- Sleepy: After the tired dwarf that loves to snooze in the Disney film Snow White.
- Tashi: Meaning fortunate
- Theo: Gift of god, brave.
- Tully: Meaning peaceful.
- Yuri: “Lily” in Japanese.
Cute Hamster Names Inspired by Food
Hamsters are the foodies of the animal kingdom – they’re mukbangers in fuzzball form. They nom, nom and nom, while adorably stuffing it all into their cheeks. Sometimes, they stuff themselves so much their cheeks balloon to the point their head doubles in size. In fact, the name “hamster” itself comes from the German word “hamstern,” meaning “to hoard!” Honor your hamster’s foodie nature with these cute names inspired by all sorts of culinary delights.
- Boba: Bubble tea, a milk tea beverage that contains tapioca pearls.
- Brie: After the cheese.
- Broccoli: For a hamster that loves their five a day.
- Candy: Soft and fluffy, like your furry friend.
- Churro: A fried dough dessert.
- Hamburger: It even has “ham” in it!
- Honeydew: After the melon.
- Marshmallow: Let’s be real: your bundle of fluff looks just like a marshmallow!
- Milo: After the Australian chocolate milk beverage.
- Mochi: Japanese rice cake.
- Oreo: An adorable name that’ll complement any black and white hamster.
- Pocky: Japanese chocolate biscuit sticks.
- Skittles: For an extra-colorful furry friend.
- Tic Tac
Cute Hamster Names Inspired by Color
Brown, cream, gray, yellow – hamsters come in a wide array of colors, with many having fur made up of several hues. If you want a cute name that pays tribute to your furry friend’s striking looks, check out the names listed below.
Make sure to also browse the rest of our name lists as well, since many ideas we’ve suggested throughout this article can easily be associated with particular colors. For example, “waffles” is an apt name for a brown hamster, while “pearl” is perfect for a white fluffball.
- Bruno: Meaning brown.
- Casper: After Casper the Friendly Ghost, great name for a white-hued hamster.
- Dottie: Fitting for a hamster with dot-like markings.
- Orla: Meaning golden princess.
- Russet: Reddish-brown hue.
- Snow White: After the Disney princess.
- Twilight: Fitting name for a dark-hued hamster. Plus, hamsters love the nightlife (they’re nocturnal, after all!).
- Yukiko: Meaning “snow child” in Japanese.
Cute Hamster Names Meaning Little
Next up, we’ll be looking at names that are as teeny as your furry friend. Every name here denotes “small” in some way or another. While we’re on the topic, here’s a fun fact for you: the smallest hamster species in the world is the Roborovski hamster, averaging a length of just 2 inches!
- Bambi: After the Disney film,
- Bolan: Meaning little poet.
- Chibi: Meaning “tiny” in Japanese.
- Chica: Meaning little girl.
- Chico: Meaning small.
- Dora: After Dora the (little) explorer.
- Gizmo: After the adorable, small Mogwai in
- Haiku: A small poem.
- Incy: Short for incy-wincy.
- Marcel: Meaning little warrior – perfect name for a small but mighty hamster.
- Miv: Meaning precious little one.
- Oisin: Meaning small deer.
- Pamina: Little honey.
- Petit: “Small” in French.
- Renny: Meaning little mighty one.
- Rian: Meaning little king, little royal.
- Ronan: Meaning little seal.
- Thimble: A small thumb protector; an apt name if your hamster tends to be protective over their things.
- Thumbelina: After the fairy tale, Thumbelina is a thumb-sized girl.
- Tinker Bell: The tiny fairy in Peter Pan.
- Titchy: Meaning very small.
- Yara: Meaning small butterfly.
Ironic Cute Hamster Names
These names are fierce, powerful, and badass – a stark contrast to your hamster’s looks. While these names are technically not “cute” in their own right, once paired with your fuzzball we guarantee it’ll make your heart swoon; there’s nothing cuter (and more hilarious) than a hamster called “Chomps” nibbling away or “Xena” fiercely attacking a toy carrot!
As a side note, if you’re looking for a particularly hilarious hamster name, make sure to check out our dedicated funny hamster names list.
- Batman: After the DC Comics vigilante. Not your typical go-to hamster name, but it fits perfectly once you consider wild hamsters fave place to snooze: underground in burrows.
- Bruce: After Bruce Lee.
- Bullet: For a hamster that can’t resist good ol’ zoomies.
- Chomps: Hilarious name for a food-loving hamster. Hamsters teeth never stop growing, so don’t forget to buy chew toys to help them wear down their teeth!
- Harley: Short for Harley Quinn, the supervillainess.
- Hercules: After the legendary Greek hero, known for his impressive feats of strength.
- Hulk: Marvel’s anti-hero, renowned for his destructive nature and dual personality – a perfect name if your fluffball loves cuddles but also loves “blessing” your clothes with bite-sized holes.
- Leia: After Princess Leia, from Star Wars.
- Rhino: After the adorably fierce hamster from the film
- Xena: After Xena: Warrior Princess, a fitting name for a feisty furball.
- Zeus: Ruler of gods.
- Zorro: For a hamster that’s an escape artist (and a master of mazes).
Finding the Right Moniker for Your Fluffball
Whether you want a cutesy food name for your fuzzball or an ironic name that plays on their cute size, our list is stuffed full of ideas that you’ll fall in love with and get inspired by. No longer will you have to feel like you’re running in a hamster wheel, spending hours and hours searching but getting nowhere!
An ideal name for your bundle of fluff is one that captures their personality, looks, or your own interests in some way; if your fluffball has a mighty personality, pay tribute to it with a name like “Bruiser” or “Hulk.” Despite common misconceptions, hamsters can learn their name and respond to it when called, so avoid anything overly complicated, as well as anything that can easily get confused with other words.
Once you’ve settled on a name, you can finally dedicate all your time to spiffing up your hamster’s hub. You’ll need comfy bedding, plenty of chew toys, and things for them to hide under. And, of course, no hamster’s home is complete without a wheel for them to run in! For further guidance on hamster care, click here.