220+ Magnificent Dog Names That Start With M
From buying essentials like a suitable bed and puppy-friendly toys to preparing for the less savory experiences (aka potty training), there are tons of things to think about when welcoming a new furry friend to your family. But before you get too carried away, there is one thing that should be right up there on your priority list: giving your companion a meaningful name.
Finding the perfect name is no easy task – the possibilities are limitless. That’s why we recommend cutting down your options to names that begin with a particular letter. It could be a letter that you hold dear to your heart, like the first letter of your family name.
If you don’t have a specific letter in mind, though, why not go with “M?” The letter M is super easy to pronounce, making it kid-friendly, and it’s undoubtedly the cutest letter in the alphabet. Its sound is warm and adorable, and it has given rise to plenty of iconic cute monikers, like “Max” and “Milo.”
The letter M is also versatile. While an M name would certainly complement a laidback pooch – no doubt thanks to its soft, equally laidback sound – it would even fit the most excitable, hardworking pup. After all, in numerology, it is believed that those with M names are brimming with energy. So, without further ado, check out our marvelous M name suggestions below – we’ve gathered a myriad of ideas for you to explore.
- Top M Dog Names With Meaningful Meanings
- Magnificent Dog Names That Start With M
- Cute Dog Names That Start With M
- Majestic Dog Names That Start With M
- Macho Dog Names That Start With M
- Mouthwatering Dog Names That Start With M
- Magical Dog Names That Start With M
- Mysterious Dog Names That Start With M
- Tips to Picking Your Furbaby’s Name
- Finding the Most Marvelous Moniker
Top M Dog Names With Meaningful Meanings
Looking for a heartwarming name that has an extra-special meaning? Then you’ve come to the right place. All the names below are beautiful, both in sound and meaning.
- Madoc: Meaning benevolent.
- Makas: Meaning growing hope.
- Malachi: Meaning messenger of God.
- Manan: Meaning thoughtful.
- Matias: Meaning gift of God.
- Max: Meaning the greatest.
- Medad: Meaning friendship.
- Memphis: Meaning beautiful and enduring.
- Milos: Meaning compassionate, dear.
- Mirche: Meaning peace and tranquility.
- Mobo: Meaning freedom.
- Muntasir: Meaning victorious.
- Mansi: Meaning plucked flower, or voice from heart.
- Margot: Meaning pearl.
- Mariam: Meaning star of the sea.
- Mei: Meaning beautiful.
- Miào: Meaning wonderful and clever.
- Mila: Meaning dear one, gracious.
- Milena: Meaning love and warmth.
- Misha: Meaning resembles God.
- Miyeon: Meaning kind-hearted.
- Monifa: Meaning lucky, exalted.
- Monique: Meaning wise advisor.
- Myma: Meaning beloved.
Magnificent Dog Names That Start With M
Dogs have left their mark in history in incredible ways. They have served with us in wars, assisted in search-and-rescue, and have helped to improve the well-being of others as therapy dogs. They have even appeared in fiction as loyal sidekicks and unforgettable companions that bring their families closer (like Marley from Marley and Me).
Put simply, dogs are utterly marvelous, so it goes without saying your furbaby deserves a name that celebrates its magnificent nature.
- Maat: Egyptian goddess of harmony, justice, and balance.
- Maddox: Meaning fortunate.
- Magnif: Short for magnificent.
- Magnum: Meaning great.
- Marvel: After Captain Marvel, from the Marvel Universe.
- Maximus: Meaning the greatest.
- Maxine: Meaning greatest.
- Medwyn: Meaning strong friend.
- Meera: Meaning mother earth.
- Melvin: Meaning gentle lord.
- Merida: Meaning honorable.
- Miles: Meaning merciful.
- Millicent: Meaning brave strength.
- Moana: From the Disney movie
- Mona: Meaning noble.
- Monty: Meaning mountain of the powerful ruler.
- Mughith: Meaning helper, savior.
- Mulan: Legendary folk heroine.
Cute Dog Names That Start With M
As we mentioned earlier, there are a myriad of adorable dog names that start with M, no doubt thanks to the cuteness the letter exudes.
While we’ve got plenty of aww-worthy ideas below, make sure to also check out our food-inspired names. Plenty of culinary delights, like “Muffin” and “Mochi,” make for adorable names too!
- Mabel: Meaning lovable.
- Maisie: Meaning pearl.
- Mandy: Meaning worthy of love.
- Margo: Meaning pearl.
- Marley: Meaning pleasant wood.
- Mewtwo: After the Pokémon.
- Mickey: After Mickey Mouse.
- Mikko: Meaning gift from God.
- Milo: Meaning merciful.
- Minnie: After Minnie Mouse.
- Molly: Meaning star of the sea.
- Mowgli: From The Jungle Book.
Majestic Dog Names That Start With M
If you love nothing more than pampering your pup, chances are, you’ll be wanting to give them a dignified moniker that demands respect, and stands out from the “Maxes” and “Milos” in the dog park. All the majestic names below will fit the bill.
- Madonna: After the “Queen of Pop.”
- Magnolia: After the flower.
- Malik: Meaning king.
- Mansa: Meaning emperor.
- Margaret: Meaning pearl.
- Marianne: Meaning beloved and grace.
- Marlowe: After playwright Christopher Marlowe.
- Marthena: Meaning lady.
- Mary: After Mary Queen of Scots.
- Marylea: Meaning joyful.
- Maxwell: Meaning great stream.
- Meghan: After Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex.
- Mildred: Meaning gentle strength.
- Ming: After the Ming dynasty.
- Mirabelle: Meaning wonderful.
- Monet: After the famous impressionist painter.
- Mozart: One of the greatest composers in music history.
Macho Dog Names That Start With M
Whether your dog is tough, or simply believes they’re tough (the vacuum cleaner WILL surrender to them one day!), a macho-sounding name couldn’t be more apt. Check out our suggestions.
- Macbeth: Tyrannical mad ruler from Shakespeare’s play.
- Mamba: After the deadly venomous snake.
- Mando: From The Mandalorian.
- Marceline: Meaning little warrior.
- Marcella: Meaning warlike, strong.
- Marco: Meaning warlike.
- Matilda: Meaning mighty in battle.
- Maude: Meaning powerful battler.
- Maverick: Meaning independent.
- Medusa: Badass gorgon from mythology.
- Mordor: The evil realm in The Lord of the Rings.
Mouthwatering Dog Names That Start With M
If your puppy has an insatiable appetite, or you identify as a “self-proclaimed foodie” in your Instagram bio, you’ll fall in love with the culinary-inspired dog names we’re serving up below. We’ve taken inspiration from fruits, beverages and even tasty treats for the sweet-tooths out there.
So, read on and tuck in. Oh, but a quick warning: don’t read these suggestions on an empty stomach!
- M&M: After M&M’s.
- Madeleine: Traditional French cake.
- Margarita: After the cocktail.
- Martini: After the cocktail.
- Matcha: Powdered green tea.
- Mochi: Japanese rice cake.
- Mojito: After the cocktail.
- Molasses: After the sweetener.
- Monte: After the dessert brand.
- Muenster: After the cheese.
Magical Dog Names That Start With M
Our furry friends have a magical way of cheering us up and making us smile, even during the toughest of days. On a more humorous note, they don’t just use their canine magic to bring joy to our lives; we swear they cast a spell that makes them ten times more adorable when they want the leftovers on our plate! Honor your furry magician with these equally magical names.
- Madam Mim: From The Sword in the Stone.
- Magia: “Magic” in Spanish.
- Magik: Sorceress from Marvel Comics Universe.
- Mágissa: “Witch” in Greek.
- Magneto: Mutant from X-Men that has the ability to manipulate magnetic fields.
- Magnus: Powerful warlock from
- Magus: Meaning sorcerer.
- Majo: “Witch” in Japanese.
- Makutu: “Witch” in Maori.
- Maleficent: The fairy out for revenge from
- Malzahar: Seer from the game League of Legends.
- Mandrake: Magical screaming plant from the Harry Potter
- Manon: From The Craft.
- Manyeo: “Witch” in Korean.
- Marnie: After Marnie Stonebrook from True Blood.
- Maximoff: After the Scarlet Witch, from the Marvel Universe.
- Māyā: Meaning illusion or magic.
- Melisandre: Red Witch from Game of Thrones.
- Merlin: Wizard from Arthurian Legend.
- Merryweather: Fairy from the Disney movie Sleeping Beauty.
- Mohana: Meaning bewitching.
- Moody: After Alastor Moody, from the Harry Potter
- Moonstone: After the glowing gemstone.
- Mordred: Druid from Merlin, based on Arthurian legend.
- Morgana: Sorceress from Arthurian Legend.
- Morgause: Sorceress from Merlin, based on Arthurian legend.
- Morticia: From The Addams Family.
- Musa: From Winx Club.
- Myrtle: After Moaning Myrtle, from the Harry Potter
Mysterious Dog Names That Start With M
If your furbaby has a knack at finding and retrieving hidden things – which they may or may not have hidden themselves – why not give them a name that pays tribute to their mystery-solving skills? And hey, you never know, they could be the next Scooby-Doo!
Check out our mystery-inspired M dog names below. We’ve taken inspiration from fictional detectives, literature, and even mythology.
These names would also work if your furry friend is an enigma in themselves; perhaps their past is unknown, or maybe they simply have a mysterious gaze.
- Mahiwaga: “Mysterious” in Filipino.
- Maigret: After fictional police detective Jules Maigret.
- Maltese: After the mystery film, The Maltese Falcon.
- Mannix: After TV detective Joe Mannix.
- Margana: Meaning seeker of truth.
- Mariana: After the mysterious Mariana Trench.
- McCloud: After the fictional crime-solving cowboy.
- Melinoe: Greek goddess of spirits.
- Memento: After the classic mystery film,
- Midsomer: After Midsomer Murders.
- Mike Hammer: Investigator from I, The Jury.
- Minerva: Roman goddess of wisdom and justice.
- Miss Marple: From Agatha Christie’s murder mystery books.
- Misteri: “Mysterious” in Malay.
- Moriarty: From Sherlock Holmes.
- Morpheus: After the Greek god of dreams.
- Morse: After Morse code.
- Mulder: After Fox William Mulder, from The X-Files.
- Murdoch: After Detective William Murdoch, from Murdoch Mysteries.
- Mycroft: After Mycroft Holmes, from Sherlock Holmes.
Tips to Picking Your Furbaby’s Name
Your dog’s name is more than just what you love to call them. It’s crucial for training and grasping their attention, both of which help to keep them safe. Below, we’ll go over some of the key things you need to think about when picking out your furbaby’s name.
Snappy and Short Names Are Best
You first need to consider how long the name is. You should avoid picking a name with more than four syllables. Ideally, it should be two syllables. Lengthy names are more difficult for dogs to recognize, and they don’t grasp their attention as much as short and snappy names do.
Avoid Names That Sound Similar to Commands
You should also avoid any names that sound similar to commands you want to teach your dog – if you name your furbaby “Mitt,” they might mishear it as “sit.” Although this doesn’t seem like a major issue, it can actually be extremely dangerous – just imagine if there’s a hazard and you need to quickly call your dog to you, and they mishear and sit instead.
Don’t Be Disappointed if Your Pup Outgrows Their Name
Our last tip is perhaps the most obvious, but it still needs to be said: try to pick a moniker that captures your furry friend’s personality, but don’t feel disappointed if they grow out of their name.
Since we have to pick our pup’s name early on in their life, there’s always a chance that their personality in adulthood will end up being fairly different. They might change from a tough “Macho” pup to a laidback, food-loving “Macaroni.”
Remember that at the end of the day, as long as you love the name and it’s easy for your pooch to understand, it doesn’t matter if it no longer matches their personality to a T. You don’t need to rely on a moniker to show the world how adorable or goofy your dog is – we guarantee they will do that themselves just fine!
More naming tips can be found here, and here’s how to teach your pup their new moniker.
Finding the Most Marvelous Moniker
Whichever name you pick, your pup will be bearing it for the rest of their life. It’s vital you put your all into ensuring it’s the perfect name for them. It should be easy for your pup to recognize and ideally complement them somehow; it could match their looks or even be a nod to their heritage.
While name hunting is no easy task, honing in on dog names that start with a particular letter is sure to alleviate some of the difficulty. Above, we’ve collected tons of marvelous M names for you to get inspired by, including ones that are tasty, cute, and magical. We’re certain you’ll find a name to your liking!
If you’ve come to the conclusion that “M” names just aren’t your style, though, make sure to explore our other letter-inspired name lists.